Thursday, September 12, 2013

Homework or Sew Work or Work Work

Seriously!  All I want to do is sew!  I am such a procrastinator!!!!!  The current classes I am taking end on Sunday.  One class is complete, all assignments are turned in.  The other class ..... not so much.  I can't sew until I get this class done.  Literally, I took my straight pins to work and left them there so I couldn't sew.

So when I can't sew what do I do?  I Pinterest.  I dream about all the things I would sew if I didn't have other stuff I am OBLIGATED to do first.

My current passion is completing the Star Surround Quilt-A-Long with Melissa over at Happy Quilting.  You can find the first post here.  I started out a little behind while I chose my fabrics and waited for them to arrive.

Here's a picture of the fabric I chose.  The line is Heirloom by Joel Dewberry.  I chose the sapphire palette.  



I chose to make the biggest size quilt because I need a quilt for my bedroom.  (First, I have to teach my dog to stay off the bed because she has ruined several comforters in the last two years.)

Then Week 2 came and it was time to cut the pieces.  I messed up and had to order more of one kind of fabric.  But I guess that's what happens when you are in a hurry.  Measure twice, cut once is what they say.  I measured correctly, I was just cutting the wrong size for what I wanted to make.  Here's a picture of my cut pieces.


Then we made half-square triangles (HST).  These I actually had done on time.


The week of August 5 we worked on flying geese.  I also got these done on time.


I stayed on track the next week as well.  That week we were building our block centers.  Some of mine didn't turn out perfectly, but I am okay with it as this is my first quilt ever.  Also, if and when my dog ruins the quilt I won't feel so bad about it.


Then came the week of August 19, building the star surround.  This was also the week school started for my children, I had to go back to work (I teach preschool), I was no longer ahead in my classes (I am working on a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education), and we were adjusting to our new family member (a foreign exchange student from China).  You can see why I got behind in the Quilt-A-Long.

Anyway, the Star Surround Parade is on Monday and I am going to try to make it.  I think I can do it as long as I finish my last assignment by tomorrow evening and remember to bring my straight pins home from my classroom.  Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Oh Cathy, You are amazing!!! I wish you some good sewing time this weekend. I can't believe this is your first quilt, you are doing amazing!!! Your stars all look fantastic. I hope you have time to finish, you are going to do great!!

    ReplyDelete